Some glimpses of 'Old Coggeshall' from our postcard and picture collections

 
Home

Home

Abbey

Seeds

Weaving

Lace

Trade

Carving

Quakers

Ancient Artefacts

 Local Heroes

Historic Walk

Family research

Museum News

Other museums

Links

 

 

 

Gardner's dray in Bridge Street, c1900

 

Territorial Troops on Grange Hill, 1912

     

 

Single furrow plough near St Nicholas' chapel, 1900

 

Flooding in Bridge Street, 1912

     
 

The ford at Stephen's bridge, 1905

 

Lower part of Church Street, 1895

     

 

Church Street, showing the 'Padlock', 1900

 

'The Lamb', Tilkey, ready for the 1935 Silver Jubilee

     

 

'Blowing bubbles' at Robin's brook in 1906

 

Stephen's Bridge prior to 1912

     

 

Men from the Warwickshire Regiment outside their billet in East Street, prior to going to France in 1915. Not one survived!

 

Moores, the local bus company, with their donkey cart float for the celebrations of the Silver Jubilee in 1935

     

 

Hare Bridge in West Street, 1910. The tall chimney in the background belongs to J.K. King, the  seed grower   The chapel of St Nicholas in Abbey Lane. The motor bike, with woven sidecar belonged to a local basket maker.
     

 

Situated at the top of Church Street, it is now called Coggeshall House. This view is early 1950s.

  This view of East street is dated 1917. The view is little changed today.
 
 

 

 

 
Our book 'Snapshots of Old Coggeshall' is available - email the curator for details